The third edition of TEDxAmsterdam on November 25th, 2011 was all about Human Nature. An amazing team of enthusiastic volunteers, partners and performers has worked hard to create an unforgettable experience making Ideas Worth Spreading reality. From this page you will find all information about last years edition of TEDxAmsterdam at hand.
This year’s TEDxAmsterdam aimed to bring you some of the most valuable insights on ourselves: the human being. “What is it like to be human?”, we asked. Is there something like human nature or are we ‘just monkeys in shoes’ to quote the father of founder Jim Stolze.When we choose, the impact of our choices is unknown. “Humans always seem to know why they do what they do, but is that really how it works? We wanted to provoke attendants with questions and stories about what it means to be human”, founder Jim Stolze tells us. The most fascinating about the theme “Human Nature” to us at TEDxAmsterdam was the blind spot humans tend to have: we are so common with being human, yet we know so little about ourselves.
Speakers and performers from all over the world and from different disciplines have put our minds to work about our deepest motivations, how genes influence important parts of our behaviour and where our feelings come from. We’ve focussed on human accomplishments, people’s unbreakable spirits and practical wisdom able to change the natural environment we’re living in. Next to that we’ve taken you a step further and invited speakers that highlight irrationality, human error and unexpected connections: exploring the darker sides of our mind appeared to be truly intriguing too. Special attention was for questions about the future – how will we influence, improve and alter our brain? Because “Human Nature” is not only about who we truly are, but also who we can become.
Not to worry when you’ve missed something from our very inspirational TEDxAmsterdam 2011 edition: you can watch it all back online! All talks are fully recorded on video, you can read all the live blogs our social media team wrote from the balcony of the Stadsschouwburg or you can check out the amazing talks and performances in photos on Flickr. You can also find an overview of the day on nu.nl
Still not enough?
We have more goodness for you in store!
- TEDxAmsterdam TV “the day before” including the 10 full hours of the recorded livestream with interviews and behind the scenes reports, anticipating the event to come
- Behind the scenes videos from during the event, capturing the buzz, excitement and inspiration on the spot
- Visitor’s quotes on their Human Nature experiences, exploring the theme by digging into personal life changing events
- Interviews with speakers on the interview set just before of right after their TEDxAmsterdam Talk, brought to you by our partners Sanoma and Achmea and hosted by Aldith Hunkar
Do you want to look back at the 2011 edition of TEDxAmsterdam in a special way? Try these things!
- We created a special page collecting tweets, photos and other material from the simulcast events with the help of Storify.
- To celebrate the theme human nature our friends at MediaMonks created a living brain which was fed by the amount of tweets sent on the 2011 edition and you could filter it by location, for instance. You can also use it to create an interactive story about the day itself (adding videos and more).
- Getting a bit mindblown from this all? Get back on track with this mindmap of TEDxAmsterdam 2011!